Aug 24

99 Days of Ham

Tomorrow is Hammy’s 100th day, so I thought I should write something about how it’s going: 

So far, so good.

That about sums it up.


The First 30 Days

My mother flew in on May 31, which made things much easier. Having her there to do dishes and several other chores really freed me up to get other work and the heavier chores (like gardening) done. Also, my mother, my wife, and myself get along very well, so it also made the adjustment of having a baby in the house easier on the mental side as well. My wife and I were very sad to bid farewell to her at the end of June.

From the beginning, my wife has let me sleep through the nights, which has been very nice… especially at the beginning when Hammy would wake up every couple of hours for a feeding. We’re all sleeping together in the upstairs tatami room, on futons (Japanese-style, so right on the floor), so every once in a while, I’d offer to put him back to sleep after he ate.

Best song to get him to fall asleep during month 1? “Do You Hear the People Sing?” sung at full belt. I’m not sure my neighbours appreciate that at any time, let alone midnight, let alone with my voice, but there it is. My hope is that they prefer my marginal singing to the squawling of an infant. “Danny Boy” also worked a charm. These songs have recently lost their full effectiveness, but they still come in handy.

Month 2 & 3

My wife is still letting me sleep through the nights, which is really nice. I get physical symptoms (migraines, sleep paralysis) if I don’t get enough consecutive hours of sleep, and I have more trouble falling back to sleep than she does, so I really appreciate it. She goes back to work next spring, though, at which point I am hoping he sleeps through the night, because as the main breadwinner, she’s going to need her sleep more than me.

Near the end of month 2, we started getting real smiles and laughter from Hammy—not the ones where you wonder if he’s just squeezing out a particularly stubborn fart, but real ones. He’s also started looking at things. When something moves out of his field of vision, he’s started turning his head to follow it.

For the nonce, he’s settled into a pattern of sleep where, except for waking briefly to feed once or twice a night, or waking because he’s accidentally shifted around and fallen off his futon or kicked a wall or something, he sleeps about 8 hours at night, and maybe 4 hours in naps throughout the day. It means fewer long breaks to get stuff done during the day, but it does mean more smiles and giggles during that time, so it’s a decent trade-off.

Unfortunately, he’s also figured out how to scream over the last week. I suspect Graig Russell taught him how when I wasn’t looking last week.

Today, Hammy rolled over for the first time. He’s been rolling over for about a week now, but hasn’t been able to get all the way from his back to his belly yet. My wife and I have been waiting, cameras poised, every time he tries. So of course, he waited until both of us were not paying attention to finally do it. The photo at the top of this post is from moments after we discovered him.

100 Days

Wha--?!Last week, we went to a photo studio to get some photos taken to celebrate 100 days of Hammy. It was an interesting experience, but I’m glad we did it. It was reasonably inexpensive and allowed me to just be there rather than worrying about lighting, composition, etc.

(My only complaint was that the digital files they gave us were only .jpgs and they refused to release RAW or TIFF files. I could understand if their business was selling prints, but their recommendation was to get the .jpgs and make the prints ourselves at the local camera/electronics chain!)

So yeah. Like I said: so far, so good.

Leave a Reply