Tag Archive: translation

Jan 13

Really Good Idea, Really Bad Execution

Am trying out this new translation site "Conyac". http://cony.ac

where-am-i-Really good idea, I think. You get one translation for free, and I tried it out, and I think what I got was decent (at least good enough to suit my current needs).

However, the site does raise some, if not "red" flags, then certainly "amateur" flags.

  1. Bad site layout/coding.
    When you first visit the site, you’re presented with two options. Either to become a translator OR to get something translated. Either option requires a facebook account to login with. There’s an option to open the FAQ instead of logging in, which then opens, heavily truncated, within the login popup window.

    Once you’ve logged in using your facebook account (or whatever), you’re presented with a window in which to input your free 720 character translation request. If you want to buy more credits, there is no obvious way to do it. You have 4 items along the top of the page: Request, Translate, Vote, [Username]

    Request and translate are obvious. Vote allows you to vote on accuracy of translations (done for other people) into your native language. Clicking on your username brings up a dropdown menu that gives you:

    Setting, Balance/Withdraw, FAQ, Logout.

    Setting lets you tinker with a (very few) options for your profile, including what languages you speak.
    Balance/Withdraw, which is where you’d think you could buy credits, is only for withdrawing money earned from translation.
    FAQ is where you go to find the link about buying credits, except that it’s not a link. It’s a non-hyperlinked URL that you must cut and past into your address bar. Seriously? What the hell were they thinking?

  2. Communications issues.
    After submitted my test translation, I was not notified in any way that I had received results. Only a chance visit to the site revealed my completed translations. This despite the umpteen permissions the site’s Facebook app asks you to grant it.
  3. Consistency
    While writing this, I discovered that they have two homepages: http://cony.ac and http://conyac.cc/. .cc appears to be the original one. But even on that site, the pricing is different from the front page and the page where you sign up. On the front page, there are different character limits for English and Japanese; on the page to buy credits, one credit gives you 720 characters, which is more than before (500 characters for English, 200 for Japanese), but now seems distinctly unfair, since you can say a lot more in 720 characters of Japanese than in 720 English characters.

This site is a really good idea. I just hope that the young men behind it realize that their pants are too loose and hike them up.

 

It is inexpensive enough, and the translation I got seems good enough, and I am desperate enough right now that I will give them a test run this month, though. I hope with my money, they can buy some website experts. (I recommend fusionbureau.com)

 

Update: Add sinister to the equation. For their monthly plans, credit cost 30% less, and you can get special features. For the “lite” plan, this gives you the option of only allowing native speakers to translate your request. Fair enough. For the “medium” plan, they have something called the “Private” option. Apparently, this means your translation won’t be searchable after 12 hours. So that means any translation request I put in there is searchable forever? Why, other than to extort people to use their more expensive plan?

 

I’ll just have to make sure I limit my translations to things that don’t include search terms that point back to my site, since I don’t want a translation site (with possibly bad translations) showing up in searches for my Theatre company. Yikes!

Dec 03

Website Frustration

The new website for YTG is basically done. However, it’s still not live, because most of the content is still in English.

New Website Sneak Peak

The change of direction of Yokohama Theatre has meant that most of the content on the old site will not be moved to the new site. That means I’ve had to write new items, which I did, but it also means that those items need to be translated into Japanese before I launch.

 

So I’m trying to rope in everyone I know: my usual volunteer translator, the ensemble members themselves, and some family members too.

 

Hopefully this means I can launch the site mid-week next week and start directing people towards it.

 

If you’re bilingual and want to help out, drop me a line, though. The sooner I can launch, the better!