I got my usual weekly backup email from crashplan this morning, and for the first time in almost a month, I actually had the time to read it.
There were no alerts on it, but I noticed that my Linux box hadn’t completed a backup in more than 19 days. It didn’t trigger an alarm because it was connecting. I connected the GUI and saw that it was getting stuck in the “analyzing” phase. A browse of the logs showed that the crashplan daemon was starting and stopping every minute or so.
Some Google-fu later, and I found the problem: a hard-coded memory-use limit.
sudo nano /usr/local/crashplan/bin/run.conf
Then, edit the two lines in the file and change the Xmx512 entries to Xmx1024. This expands the amount of memory crashplan is allowed to use with Java and will stop it from crashing. At least until my backups get bigger…